What is Fair Trade?
Our supplier, Global Crafts, defines it as a system of exchange that seeks to create greater equity and partnership in the international trading system by:
- Providing fair wages in the local context
- Supporting safe, healthy, and participatory workplaces
- Supplying financial and technical support to build capacity
- Promoting environmental sustainability
- Respecting cultural identity
- Offering public accountability and transparency
- Building direct and long-term relationships
- Educating consumers
Fair Trade Federation members foster partnerships with producers, because they know these connections are a highly effective way to help producers help themselves.
Fair Trade is not about charity. It is a holistic approach to trade with the purpose of empowering the poorest of the poor. Fair Trade organizations seek to create sustainable and positive change in developing and developed countries.