United Methodist Women
United Methodist Women (UMW) is the largest denominational faith organization for women with approximately 800,000 members world wide whose mission is fostering spiritual growth, developing leaders and advocating for justice.
We say that UMW is Women in Mission, and that has powerful implications. Since 1869, United Methodist Women have led a struggle for human rights and social justice.
Today, it would be difficult to find an issue involving human rights or social justice that UMW is not involved in.
- Human trafficking in Cambodia
- Sudan genocide
- Aging US population
- Race and power
- Women in prison
- and hundreds of other issues http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umw/
All of this work begins at the local level, with women in the UMW Circles and Interest Groups. In addition to funding mission projects, UMW groups encourage and support women in their Christian walk.
- Craft Groups (meets throughout the year for the Annual Bazaar)
- Joy Circle (meets the 2nd Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm)
- Mary Martha Circle (meets the 3rd Thursday of the month at 1:00 pm)
- Nightingale Circle (meets the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 1:30 pm)
- Quilter's Circle (meets every Monday at 8:30 am
- Sunshine Circle (meets the 2nd Wednesday at 9:30 am)
- UMW Card Workshop (meets the 1st Wednesday of every month and the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays at 9:00 am
Giving makes mission possible. It provides food, shelter, education, employment, health care, and human rights advocacy for the many living on the margins of society.
Many UMW members make an annual Pledge to Mission, in addition to their overall church pledges. Some also raise money with their time and talents.
An old-fshioned church bazaar, it's a Fall institution you don't want to miss. Gently used children's clothing of the highest quality, plus traditional favorites like roasted nuts, frozen casseroles, recycled greeting cards, restored costume jewelry, home baked goodies, crafts, and more. Profits go to programs for women and children in our area and around the world.
Each year, the ladies of the UMW gather for a special tea and a time of preparing our hearts for the holidays.
You can find more information on Women's Ministries in:
First News, an insert in every week's worship bulletin
You Can Count on Me (YCCOM), a sign-up form found in the weekly worship bulletin